Sunday, November 30, 2008

An Early Review of Gomez Peer



Ah, hopeless futility, how I love thee.

I signed up for Gomez Peer a little over a month ago by following a link like the banner ad above. According to the site FAQ, Gomez Peer runs in the background of your computer, checking the performance of various websites, and pays you for your processing time. You are not automatically approved just by downloading and running the software, and you are only processing when you are online. The maximum amount that you can earn is $45 per month.

I did a little research via Google and decided to give it a try, though downloading software from a money-making opportunity website is usually the equivalent of hitting your PC with a sledgehammer. I'm pleased to report that the software appears to be clean and that it can be easily removed by uninstall with no apparent lasting effects.

So far, that's about as positive as I can get with Gomez Peer, but at least it is something.

My first problem is that I still haven't been approved or disapproved from the program despite the FAQ saying that it generally took two weeks. Part of this may may be my own fault. For one thing, I did go on vacation and have my computer turned off for a week. For another thing, my testing the ability to cleanly uninstall software may have thrown off whatever takes place as part of the Gomez Peer review process. In any event, regardless of what I've done, I still feel there should have been a response by now.

My second problem has to do with the small fortune I've managed to amass in my month long experiment. Here's a screen capture of my Gomez Peer window:




So far for my computer's time, I've managed to earn 15 cents. To put this into perspective system-wise, I have a blistering processor and Comcast cable Internet access, which is pretty swift. Except for that week, actually 9 days, that my computer was turned off, my computer has been running quite a bit.

Needless to say, I'm in no fear of feeling ripped off because I earned more than my $45 limit.

One potential solution is referrals (who then have to wait God knows how long to be approved), and apparently you will earn money off of your referrals. For instance if you click the banners at the top or bottom of this post and sign up, you will become a referral for me. My assumption is that it will take many of you to do this in order for me to work my way up to $45 per month via running the peer. However, I will get $1 for each referral who is accepted into the program, double if you are on dial-up.


Bottom line is that I'm not ready to have a bottom line on Gomez Peer just yet, though I suspect that it is a useless program for those who don't have access to creating referrals. You only need to earn $5 to get paid, so I'm going to hang in there and see if I ever get approved and, if so, if I ever get paid and what happens after that. If you would like to support this experiment, click on the banner ad below and become a referral for me.

I'll give periodic updates.




No comments: